Opened in the early 1970s, Curtis Work Rehabilitation Services (CWRS) program began as a heavy equipment workshop with the primary purpose of restoring maximum function to industrial workers recovering from traumatic upper extremity injuries. Over the last 30-some years the program has expanded and become the regional leader in the prevention and treatment of all types of work-related injuries.
Today, the program offers assessment and rehabilitation for workers with injuries and conditions that affect their ability to perform their jobs.
What makes us unique
- CWRS is the regional leader in prevention and treatment of all types of work related injuries, not just those involving the hand.
- CWRS has held CARF accreditation for over 20 years and has been recognized by CARF as demonstrating exemplary conformance to its strict standards for service and quality.
- Even though we offer more comprehensive services, fees for our programs are within the range of other area programs.
- Specific details about the job are necessary to ensure all physical demands are being addressed. If there is no job description provided or the particular position is not known to CWRS , the employer will be called to clarify the demands.
- CWRS interdisciplinary team includes a psychologist who conducts a weekly group for Work Hardening clients. This group, as well as educational sessions provided by other team members are included in the program at no extra charge.
Through the various programs offered, such as work hardening and conditioning, workers are able to regain the strength, skills and confidence to return to gainful employment. Although the program is located within the Curtis National Hand Center at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital, it is available for all injuries and conditions, not just those involving the hand.
Ergonomic consultation and education programs also show employees how to prevent injuries, thus keeping employers’ costs down.
Licensure and Accreditation
Curtis Work Rehabilitation Services’ Occupational Rehabilitation Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and licensed by the State of Maryland. CWRS is an on-campus department of MedStar Union Memorial Hospital, which is accredited by The Joint Commission.
Please contact Donna Keegan, Program Coordinator at 410 -554 -2975 if you have any questions or would like a tour of CWRS. Your feedback is always welcome.